Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Looking forward to going to work

So it's been a very long time since I can honestly say I'm excited to go to work every morning. (Sorry Beth!) I am learning so much cool stuff. Yesterday I got to spend 4 hours out evaluating a house fire. It was crazy to see what fire does to different things in a home. What it destroys and what it randomly doesn't destroy is very interesting. It's also pretty interesting to see how other people live. Luckily I worked mostly on the exterior drawing and scoping, because about an hour inside was enough for me with the smell. After diagramming and scoping all the damage we went back to the office to write up a huge estimate. Today I climbed 4 more roofs. Didn't climb roof #5 which I didn't feel bad about since the rep I was with had a lot of trouble on it and had to sit down in areas so she didn't slip. It's funny to me how a roof from the ground doesn't look too steep and then I get on it and am a little surprised. When I went out a couple of weeks ago my focus was just getting on and off the roof without falling. Since I'm now a pro (no, not really, but if I tell myself that often enough I can at least not think about how high up I am) today my focus was actually taking all the pictures and diagramming from the roof. We were in a van today where I was able to go into the "office" in the back of the van and write the estimates there and leave the insured with a check if they were covered. Tomorrow I'm taking off early in the am for a 12 hour day in Northern Mo. And crossing my fingers I get chosen for a Cat rotation duty sometime. This has really made me re-think some of my career goals. I had no idea I'd like Fire Claims this much. All I can say is I'm grateful for the new dress code, I can't imagine being out climbing roofs in business casual!

No comments: